Friday, October 21, 2011

Week 3: Breakfast

This week's theme allowed me to get a little more creative with technique, which was both rewarding and challenging. When you eat cereal for breakfast each morning, you can only take so many pictures of cereal. That forced me to think about breakfast a bit more and take the theme a bit less literal. Which is kind of the point.

I think this first one could be better. As a default I tend to shoot at the largest aperture possible, so that I don't have to worry about shutter speed and I get a nice depth of field. I'm finding with my macro lens sometimes that depth of field is too shallow. 
This photo was just good timing with the sunlight coming in through the window. The logo is originally a nice red, but seeing as this glass is very old, I liked the black and white feel of it.
This is the sort of thing that I would never think to take a picture of, if it weren't for this challenge. It's the shadow of our pantry rack thing, reflected on the refrigerator.
This was sort of an attempt at tilt-shift photography. Usually you buy a really expensive lens, or photoshop the effect, but you can do it really cheap by removing your lens from the camera and tilting it a bit. It tends to keep one spot in focus, instead of a whole plane. I want to try more of this, as it works much better when you're far away from large subjects. It's supposed to make the subjects look like miniature models. Not sure if that's really conveyed in this photo.
Gabe and Vu were in town, which meant actually cooking breakfast, yay. What good timing. I loved the little smoke bubble at the top of the picture.
Note to self, don't take pictures of natural peanut butter, it will look like poo.
I really like this one. I used a flash to light up the inside of the toaster oven. I then inverted the colors, so that the shadows from the grate look like little rays of light. It makes the toaster oven look as grand as I imagine it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment